Meet the Mushroom Family.....Mr Mushroom Head, Mrs Mushroom Head and Baby Mushroom Head!
Simply add water to our kits and grow delicious ‘Grey, Pink or Yellow’ oyster mushrooms from the top of the pot!
What are in our pots?
Great fun for children and adults alike! As well as being educational, you will see first hand how the fungi colonise and then grow into delicious oyster mushrooms. This simple process develops patience, provides an introduction to growing food and finally an introduction to cooking. It also illustrates how to upcycle ‘by products’ such as sawdust and waste paper to create something edible, environmentally friendly, educational and fun!
Are they easy to grow?
- GROWING INSTRUCTIONS
- Put the substrate into the pot.
- Add boiling water to 1cm above the substrate, and when totally cooled, add the mushroom spawn, mix well and replace the lid.
- Using a sharp knife make six small holes around the pot to allow air in.
- Put the pot into the bag, tie up the top and then place somewhere warm and dark for 2 weeks….
- Grey oysters prefer growing in cooler temperatures of 12-18 C (45-65 F) and pink and Yellow prefer warmer temperatures of 18C-30C (64-86F) .
- After 16 days, open the bag, and loosen the lid (the substrate should now be white and smell mushroomy) and move to a cooler brighter spot (imagine a typical autumn day, quite cold, damp and windy…thats what they need now!)
- Light…while direct sunlight is not good, some indirect or shaded light is needed for the fruitbodies to form properly an indirect lighting source or shaded windowsill will be sufficient.
- Fresh air…In the wild Oyster mushrooms grow out of a stump or log in fresh oxygen rich air.
- Humidity…spray with water twice a day (you can use an old household sprayer that has been thoroughly cleaned out) to keep the substrate hydrated and the environment in which the mushrooms are developing humid.
- Temperature…this is specific to each strain, but generally most Oyster mushroom strains are not too fussy about what temperature they will grow at. They will form best in their ideal range as mentioned in the strains info above, but as long as it is in the range of 10-30C (50-86F) they should still fruit.
Within 7 days you should start seeing tiny mushroom pins forming out of the hole and double in size every day (keep spraying twice a day to maintain the humidity as they grow)!!!!
On the reverse side of each pot is an area to design your own ‘Mushroom Head’. Designs can be uploaded to our Facebook page where you have a chance to win a prize. Your design may also become part of the future ‘Mushroom Family’!
Eco Friendly and Educational….
Eco friendly growing substrate including ‘post-consumer’ waste such as paper and sawdust.
Fully recyclable and compostable components.
Educational – great for kids and grown-ups alike. Not only do our kits have a strong eco message, it introduces children to the wonders of grow-your-own-food and different food types.
Have Fun! Have Fungi.